Monday, May 28, 2012

Touring the Home of Hope

If I say “Hawai’i” most Westerners immediately have visions of hula dancers, surfers, Hawaiian shirts, leis, and Elvis. If they have been there, they have memories of black lava beaches, luaus, golf courses, pineapples, macadamia, and Spam.

I visited the best place in Hawai’i: Ronald McDonald House of Charity in Honolulu for seriously- and terminally-ill children.

On Judd Hillside in Manoa is a magnificent mansion amongst beautiful homes that despite the economy, none of the homes are under $700k. So you can imagine the “home away from home” for families from the outlying islands of Hawai’i and the Pacific who have traveled here for the best care for their children who are fighting for their lives. The home on Judd Hillside has spacious rooms on the first floor and smaller, hotel-like rooms on the second floor. The great room is like a hotel lobby with an indoor garden, aquarium, and large couches. The dining room is my favorite. It has a massive table and chairs hand-carved from Koa wood with a lush, intricately-stitched carpet covering a cool, stone floor. The home has a playroom, movie room, and a beautiful back yard that hosts weekend barbecues and small events by volunteers and other community non-profits. All the rooms are elaborately decorated in traditional Hawaiian décor not skimping on detail and amenities. It is the best for the families who pass through this home while their children are going through serious treatments and surgeries. Judd Hillside at Manoa was home to my niece, Rica, and my sister, Paula, for a year.

I met the most amazing people. Families shared stories, and although heartbreaking, there was a strong sense of hope and unity in this home. The management and volunteers are just as amazing as the children who maintain their laughter in between treatments and surgeries. The youngest is a preemie born inflight over the Hawaiian Islands when the mother was only in her second trimester. A bubbly toddler with strawberry-red hair and bright eyes was going on her umpteenth surgery. We had a 17-year old teenager with life-threatening blood disease (not cancer) who was accompanied by her oldest sister who looked about the same age. The sisters lost their parents in a tragic accident just a year before while one of them was in treatments. As wards of the state, they were threatened with separation but one turned 18 before the state can finalize papers so she claimed parental rights of her sick sister, and so here they are…

For over a month most of my days were spent at Kapiolani Hospital and Judd Hillside where, at first, the images of babies, toddlers, and their families were difficult to bear. But I adjusted, and as the days passed, we shared stories of hardship and joys, love and family. Most long-time residents at Judd Hillside help new families get acquainted with the home, hospitals, and volunteers. Rica and Paula made special friendships and bonds with the families, doctors, nurses, and volunteers. If you have any time and are planning a get-away, I strongly recommend visiting and volunteering for any children’s charity. There’s a Ronald McDonald House in Seattle that is home to little patients of Children’s Hospital. It is much busier than and not as laid back as Hawai’i, but the essence of love and family and unconditional giving exists just the same. I stayed in one home and shared the lives of people from all over the world and I could not have appreciated this kind of vacation more…
 
Paula & Rica in my hotel room

 
Getting ready for a photo shoot. She was concerned her bandages and port would show...

 
Rica and her support group: siblings, Renae, John, Reiann. Just a day after her first chemo, her hair started to fall out. A week later it was completely gone, but not her smile!

Thank you, Ronald McDonald House of Charities, for a hopeful year.


17 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story. I have always wanted to do charity for Childrens Hospital itself but haven't been able to commit myself to as long as they require with my crazy schedule. What an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children's Hospital is always in need of volunteers. Your life will be impacted, trust me. I know people who have taken vacations to help after Hurricane Katrina. I admire people like this. My daughter wants to be an "animal savior," that according to her, is a world traveler that saves animals. She has two volunteer forms for me to fill out for King County SPCA... this is our summer plan. I totally recommend any type of charity.

      Delete
  2. Such a wonderful charity they have going on. I have made several contributions to the Ronald McDonald house and have seen many kids suffer through illness' and am heartbroken everytime. It is quite upsetting watching them go through what they go through, but the charity work is amazing. It makes me feel alot better about myself and others when I help out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have assisted with philantrophic work for underprivileged communities and have been touched by both sides: the ones in need and the ones that give. I'm so happy that you've contributed to Ronald McDonald charities. I'm not partial to one because all of them have great intentions. Another great charity is the Make a Wish Foundation. My niece was granted a wish and I told her to say, "Have Brad Pitt take my favorite aunt on a hot date!" This really made her laugh. Instead, she chose for her siblings to visit her and for her family to go to Disney World.

      Delete
  3. Hi Myra,
    You're right, the Ronald McDonald House is definitely not what most people think of when they think of Hawai'i. I went there for a month with a native Hawaiian friend a few years back and stayed with his family. I thought that my experience was a bit atypical as we did not do as many tourist things as most people do, and I got to experience more of the culture.

    Obviously, my experience was completely different than yours though. The stories that you touched on truly speak to the heart. I am very sorry to hear about your niece. She is amazingly beautiful! I hope that your family remains strong and gets through this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know lots of people in Hawai'i and have some relatives there. Wow--so you lived with the locals for a while! That is a culture shock for "mainlanders." But I'm sure you get the sense of ohana.
      Hawai'i no ka oi.

      Delete
  4. Hello Myra, what an amazing story. My Sister has always given to the Ronald McDonald House. Many people do not even know about this. I had no idea there was one in Honolulu. It is very rare to see someone so young be into philanthropy, you are very blessed. I think all parents who have children who complain about there privileged lives, should make them do volunteer work, or philanthropy, so they can turn out to be amazing people like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy--first, thanks for calling me young (parts of me might still be young though :)). I have two hands and no money, so "doing" is bigger than donating for me. Thank your sis for her support!! :)

      Delete
  5. Myra, this was such an amazing, touching post and I am grateful that you decided to share this experience with us. Although I'm terribly sorry that your family had to go through this experience, I am delighted to know that the Ronald McDonald house, and the people around you, gave you great strength, comfort, and hope. Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. I cannot express enough of the goodness and hard work these volunteers do for people in need. Places like RMHC believe family is important in the healing process.

      Delete
  6. I really envy the fact you took the time to go spend time with those kids. It must be very self rewarding and the most incredible experience being a positive role model for the children . More people should take the time to do volunteer work like this, myself included. It was a very inspiring post. I too had no idea that there was a Ronald McDonald house in Hawaii, which makes it cooler you went there for a purpose not just to lay on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Myra,
    Reading your article was very inspiring. I have always wanted to volunteer and you are a great reminder of how much people can give and have effects on lives of those in need. I want to be able to do this very soon in my life. Great job Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Larry--just one hour makes a difference for yourself, not just the people the charity serves. If you ever feel sad, visit a kennel or have a walk through the children's ward at any hospital. A great charity in the Northwest is Habitat for Humanity. Great exercise for a good cause! :)

      Delete
  8. Hawai'i indeed is a beautiful and wonderful place to spend your vacation but not exactly when you have to go there to battle with cancer. Thank you, Myra for writing this and posting this on your blog. With the help of the RMHC management and staff in Hawai'i and Seattle and numerous volunteers, made a difference in Rica's journey during therapy and battling cancer at a very young age. Myra, with your enormous heart, thank you for being there for me, especially for Rica. You have not only volunteered your time and presence but you made a huge impact in Rica's life during her years of battling cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very inspirational story! It sounds like you had a lot of fun, and all for a great cause! I have only had one opportunity to visit Hawaii, and I was much younger, but if I were going again to visit this would be something I'm interested in. Great post and love to hear your support!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Myra,

    Great post! I loved reading about Hawaii from a different perspective! I thought it was awesome how you preceded with the typical stereotypes that many of us have when we think of Hawaii, so it's always refreshing to get a 'behind the scenes' point of view. Really enjoyed reading your post and it definitely ensued inspiration to do something for a good cause :)

    Cheers,

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello,
    very nice blog!I’m an instant fan, I have bookmarked you and I’ll be checking back on a regular.See u.

    Day tours from Marrakech

    ReplyDelete